lynx-dev

lynx-dev Internal Links (Was Re: download page)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev Internal Links (Was Re: download page)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:39:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Laura Eaves wrote:

> > From: address@hidden
> > Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
> > talking about experimental, let's go back to the issue of Klaus' "internal
> > links".  I left them in 2.8 with the understanding that consensus is that
> > we'd remove them for the next release.  Is that correct?  (Removing them
> > is simpler than adding them ;-).
>
> What are Klaus' "internal links"?

I remember reading through the discussions between Fote and Klaus at
the time and was totally confused by the details. The upshot was, if
I understood correctly, that the internal links code could at times
send form information to a site other than that intended by the user,
creating a potential security risk. If we keep the code, I think that
appropriate security warnings would have to be given. Since lynx
seems to be working well without the internal links code, I would be
in favor of removing it. With the code so interdependent, I worry
about something unexpected breaking when it is removed. Hence I would
recommend removing it, but giving enough time for testing before a
formal release, to make sure that everything still seems to be working
well without it.
                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman