lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, brian j. pardy said:
>
> > Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 19:16:56 -0700

> > > you're right, it should be ` -- ': that's correct secretarial style.

I am really confused here. In which character set is — a dash? In
the ISO 8859-x series isn't this part of a reserved series which is not
supposed to represent characters (0x80 - 0x9f)?  I know that the
Microsoft character sets use these codes, but lynx does seem to be
interpreting them, even when viewing ISO 8859-1. Is this a bug in lynx,
or code put in to interpret Microsoft character sets mislabeled as a
different character set? Or, more likely, I don't understand what this
discussion is about. Could someone explain the basics of this for me?
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)