lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.25.patch.gz

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.25.patch.gz
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:07:37 +0900 (JST)

> * limit strings passed to mailer in LYMail.c to 7-bit ASCII, converting other
>   characters to '?'.  This guards against trash on the end of the mailing
>   address in a mailto link (from Duncan Simpson <address@hidden>).

Thanks a lot.   You probably didn't get much sleep, but now I can sleep
better :).  Would have preferred that the message were not added.  Not
sure that it would be needed if '?' were switched to '%', so that a
legitimate typo would be recognized.  Now that the cat is out of the bag,
my fix: "http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/lynxdev/hacks/xxunescape.gz";.

If you're interested in reversing the default for the interactive From:
header insertion for Unix, I did a patch for userdefs.h; appended below.

__Henry

*** lynx2-8-1/userdefs.h.orig   Tue Sep  8 16:55:46 1998
--- lynx2-8-1/userdefs.h        Tue Sep  8 16:57:20 1998
***************
*** 344,359 ****
  #define TEMP_SPACE "/tmp/"

  /********************************
!  * Don't let the user enter his/her email address when sending a message.
!  * Anonymous mail makes it far too easy for a user to spoof someone else's
!  * email address.
!  * This requires that your mailer agent put in the From: field for you.
!  *
!  * The default should be to uncomment this line but there probably are too
!  * many mail agents out there that won't do the right thing if there is no
!  * From: line.
   */
! /* #define NO_ANONYMOUS_EMAIL TRUE */

   * LIST_FORMAT defines the display for local files when LONG_LIST
--- 344,357 ----
  #define TEMP_SPACE "/tmp/"

!  * Comment this line out to let the user enter his/her email address
!  * when sending a message.  There should be no need to do this unless
!  * your mailer agent does not put in the From: field for you.  (If your
!  * mailer agent does not automatically put in the From: field, you should
!  * upgrade, because anonymous mail makes it far too easy for a user to