lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.1

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1pre.1
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > > - The "Modify location/Change location" command doesn't work a at all.
> > > It doesn't accept sub-directories in the current directory, full pathes,
> > > ".." (Alert!: Destination is not a valid directory! Request denied.) or
> > > "~" (Alert!: Unable to get status of '/tmp/ismael/~'.)
> >
> > will see (perhaps that was from dev29)
>
> No, it is older than dev29. A long time ago, I believe in the time of
> Foteos, Lynx stooped recognizing the "~", then, maybe a dozen or half-dozen
> versions ago, it stopped recognizing everything.

well, I will at least try to understand the problem - look/see if there's
a low-impact change (there's a lot of overly-complicate url/pathname
translations, and "~" is in the area that I've not yet tried cleaning up).

> Well, it seems that all those warnings don't do any harm to Lynx but I
> thought that you should know, in case you didn't...

I do try to fix the warnings - because some of them indicate real problems.
Some aren't fixable unless you lose in other places (such as type-checking).

The ones that I've left as const-casting are on calls to external functions
that I would like to believe are treated as readonly (I have in mind one
case where that assumption wasn't true - but the workaround is usually more
trouble).

> By the way, if you leave an empty line between the quotes and your text (as
> I did above with your text), your messages would be easier to read.

like this,

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden