Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: who owns what
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:05:16 -0400

>on this system, i cannot change the permission of my symlink in  /tmp :
>i tried it both from  /homes/purslow  & from  /tmp  & was told:
>"Cannot access  /tmp/dagger : permission denied".

You can not change the permission of a symlink.  Attempting to change the
permission of a symlink really attempts to change the permission of the file
that the symlink points to.

>if the symlink permission is not observed by the system,
>i wonder why i am denied permission to change its permissions:

You're trying to change the permission of the file it points to, which
presumably you don't own.

>it looks very much like a simple security device
>to prevent the kind of abuses we are discussing

>(BTW is this the `sticky bit' at work?  i need reminding what that does).

No, the sticky bit prevents user A from deleting user B's file from a
world-writable directory.

>further, there appears to be no good reason for UNIX generally
>not to observe symlink permissions:

Yes there is.

>for the kinds of case
>you & others describe, where one user uses another's  .rc  file,
>the owner can make it  705 , while the other user's symlink's  700
>-- matching the practice on this system -- is adequate for his needs.

If it honored the permission 700 on the symlink, he'd be able to write to
people's files just by making symlinks to them.

Greg Marr
"We thought you were dead."