lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev pre.10: (blind users and) Options Form/Menu

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev pre.10: (blind users and) Options Form/Menu
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:50:11 +0900 (JST)

> Again, I think a better approach would be to see what we can do to make
> the forms-based options menu better for this constituency.  To do that,
> we would have to make forms *generally* better for blind users.  Doesn't
> that sound like a better, more synergistic path forward?

Yes, a very positive approach.  We can forget the blind stuff, though,
because some sighted people, namely at least me, HATE forms.  Every
time I get on a Japanese one, seems like I get seasick, lines bouncing
this way and that ...

Anyway, why I'm really posting is that what would really help me out
is if the forms-based options were ALL the popup kind and there were
NO fill-in types.  It would make navigation MUCH easier.  Guess it could
be done easily if the HTML specs allow it.  Are <select> and <input>
mutually exclusive, or can a <input> go inside of a <select>?

Another thought on the layout was the repetition of the accept-reset-
cancel buttons top and bottom.  My preference would be for them to
only be at the bottom, and arranged on separate lines, something like:
        [31] Accept changes
        [32] Accept and Save changes to disk
        [33] Reset  changes
        [34] Cancel changes
Yes, change the "save" checkbox to a submit button, and the "cancel"
message to a link back to the page being viewed when the `o' key was
pressed.

Just some thoughts for 2-8-2.

__Henry