lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev need help with lynx

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev need help with lynx
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:37:53 -0400 (EDT)

981021 Krista Caudill wrote:
> i am using lynx 2.5

this is long out-of-date (early 1996).

> i tried connecting to http://members.bonusmail.com
> and keep getting 'badly formed address home.asp"
> is there something that can be done without downloading the newer version?

in real life, Lynx volunteers don't have time to support old versions.
get the latest Lynx from  http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/ :
it's probably the last pre-release of version 2-8-1 (soon to be finalised).
it has many many new improved features & handles on-going WWW developments.

i had no problem accessing bonusmail & going to a few links using 2-8-1.

goto  http://lynx.browser.org/  & follow the links from there.

> please give me simple directions how to do this?
> am i allowed to download the newer upgrade and put it on my account
> or would i have to contact my sysadmin to do this?

if you have `shell access', ie can compile in your own directories,
you shouldn't have a big problem getting Lynx to work,
but you may be best advised to try one of the pre-compiled binaries:
follow the links at l.b.o (above).
you can certainly ask your sysadmin to get the latest version.
if you have problems getting Lynx 2-8-1 to work, ask again here.