lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ENCTYPE="multipart/formdata"

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ENCTYPE="multipart/formdata"
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 19:12:40 +0000

In message <address@hidden>,
           Wayne Buttles writes:
> This is not supported at this time due to its complexity.  I'd also like
> to see it since we use a web app that uses http file upload for homework,
> but it is out of my league.  There was a single, older version that
> someone made that was supposed to be able to do it, but I never tried it.

I did[1], and it worked fine.  However, Lynx implemented this according
to the recommendations in the RFC, ie, it converts the file to 7 bit
clean and adds a Content-Transfer-Encoding header.  At the moment, it
only uses Base64.

Unfortunately, none of the programs I tested it with supported the
CTE header.  Even CGI.pm doesn't have support for this, meaning that
you're unlikely to be able to use it with the majority of sites.

I did contemplate modifying Lynx to send 8 bit data, but that would
require converting a very large portion of libwww to use binary-capable
string handling, which I just wasn't in the mood for at the time.

Nor am I in the mood now, particularly.  Persuading people to support
the standards that Lynx already supports seems to be the order of things.

[1] Try it, obviously, since I was the one who patched Lynx to do it.
--
    rob partington / address@hidden / programmer
do while $lang=~/^perl|python|c|tcl|awk|(sg|ht|x)ml$/i;