Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: International version up to 2.8.1rel.2
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:38:52 -0500

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 08:53:01PM +0900, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> > > Got the following fatal error (SunOS4.1.3):
> > > cd po && make CC="gcc" make: Fatal error in reader: makefile, line
> > > 132: Macro assignment on dependency
> Any idea at all what this is?  How I might work around it?

Sorry, I meant "GNU make" was required (I said gcc). I (or someone)
needs to revise the po/ to have it generate a makefile that
is more generic. I know there are other make issues, such as the fact
that "make distclean" didn't remove the NetBSD gmo files from that

> > The gmo file is the machine specific language object.  The po
> > generates code intended for gcc, which I had to use under
> > Digital UNIX to build that directory.
> I guess I was a bit too optimistic about all this.  Should I be working
> on getting the po directory to compile first, and then go to Lynx?  The
> intl directory seemed to successfully compile, which maybe got my hopes
> up too high.

It compiles on several UNIX flavors now, so Sun shouldn't be too hard. I
got an earlier run to compile on SLCC, but got no messages.

> > Michael T. Smith <address@hidden> told me this about Solaris:
> > > I've been fixing CSuite il8n on Solaris for the past few days. The
> The rest of this is WAY beyond my capabilities.  Other than join the
> address@hidden, which I did, is there anything I can be doing?  I'll have to
> do much of the work on SunOS4.1.3, at least initially.  Later I will get
> back on to the Solaris2.6 available to me.

Once these patches are more widely tested, I expect other user help.
> > > duplicate strings) -- apologies if it's too large for your
> > > mailbox. On Solaris make sure you run
> > >     msgfmt -v -o lynx.po
> So this is how to make the *.gmo file?  Where do you come by msgfmt?

Yes; it may be on SunOS.  If not, try building this for reference:
msgfmt is part of GNU gettext (see your local GNU site for this).
I used hello to figure out how to do international text, then
copied its' rules plus references from CSuite to build by version.
> > > then copy into (LOCALEDIR)/fr/LC_MESSAGES/.
> > > I forget where in Lynx LOCALEDIR is defined; we use
> > > /var/csuite/intl/locale/ but /usr/locale or /usr/local/locale is
> > > probably the default.
> I assume all of this can be done within my $HOME directory?
I haven't done this other than root, although it should be feasible
to have LOCALEDIR be under $HOME.

> > I'm still learning how to set this all up. I had picked a few
> > languages
> If you have any hints, throw'em my way.  I'm totally lost.

See if hello compiles.  There is one Japanese author in the AUTHOR
file who may be able to help you.

Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Oh, not another one...