lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev different versions of lynx.. different outputs.

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev different versions of lynx.. different outputs.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 10:44:09 -0500

At 11:28 AM 10/29/98 , you wrote:
>> > When I change the tags to
>> >
>> > both versions of lynx have the same centered output.
>> > Any ideas of what could the problem be here ?
>>
>> the problem is yet another piece of HTML pedantry (grimace):
>> i raised this very issue a couple of months ago:
>> see the Archive for 9809 (probably).
>
>Please, let's not consider another "well, everyone else is doing it, so
>we can/should break spec".
>
><TABLE> has an ALIGN attribute, which is the proper way (as I read the
>spec) to center it.
>
><CENTER> is only a text element.
>
>(This has probably all been said before...)

If it has, it was said incorrectly.  <CENTER> is not a text element.  <CENTER>
is a synonym for <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, which is a block level element.
<CENTER><TABLE>...</TABLE></CENTER>, <DIV ALIGN=CENTER><TABLE>...</TABLE></DIV>
and <TABLE ALIGN=CENTER> should all produce the same output.  However, many
versions of the major browsers don't see it this way, especially the ones
before <CENTER> was defined as <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, and was just whatever NS
wanted it to be.

<TABLE><CENTER>...</CENTER></TABLE> is invalid HTML since <TABLE> can only
contain CAPTION, COL, COLGROUP, THEAD, TFOOT and TBODY.  TBODY's start and end
tags can be omitted, and TBODY can contain only TR.  Thus, CENTER isn't allowed
in that location.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden