lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Misplaced? <dd> breaks anchor.

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Misplaced? <dd> breaks anchor.
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:12:37 -0500

>> WHY did fote call it "tag soup"?  Maybe that is actually
>> a good name -- as long as its derivation is explained
>> somewhere.
>I suppose it's in the archive - but my understanding is that Klaus and Fote
>disagreed on how to handle error recovery when tags are improperly nested.
>
>Klaus wanted to reject things that weren't properly nested, and Fote
>made some allowances (i.e., the tags didn't have to follow the standard
>structure), so someone dubbed it tag-soup.

The term tag-soup I believe originated as a description of how the "major"
browsers handled HTML.  IIRC, it originated elsewhere long before it came to
apply to a parsing mode in lynx.  (At least I saw it used in several of the ciw
newsgroups long before I saw it on lynx-dev.)

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden