lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev internal cache proposal

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internal cache proposal
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:07:22 +0000 (GMT)

> this is equivalent to "expired", sending conditional GET with "no-cache"
> is enough (was explained below).

This is actually a rather weird combination; it should either be an
unconditional request with no-cache, to force an end to end reload,
or a conditional request with max-age=0, to force end to end revalidation.

I've wondered about this in the past, but Lynx really needs at least
two and preferably three cases:

1) force revalidation (override history mechanism/refresh current page);

2) force end to end reload (an intermediate cache seems to have a corrupt
   copy);

3) force end to end revalidation (option: as (1) but override any policy
   by an intermediate cache to defer revalidation).

I'm not sure which of these is currently being generated.

> >>       Method POST may be not cached for internal use
> >>       like changing ^V etc.
>
> > Why not?
> it takes a time to understand what current code do with it.

A true cache may never cache POST as POST is expected to have side effects
and caching would prevent them.  A history mechanism would normally not
resubmit a POST.