lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:26:43 +0300 (MSK)

> There are two places where we may look for guidance:
>  * The HTTP protocol itself.
>  * Newer versions of libwww.

> Since HTTP is engineered to support cacheing, and is quite detailed about it,
> it may tell us a lot about what kinds of requests a level of a cache
> hierarchy can make - what kinds of parameters are needed, what modes of
> operation one could think of etc.  With necessary modifications of course,
> for the program-internal rather than over-the-network case.  Note that
> HTTP caching is completely based on the style B communication (above).
> (Squid caches talking ICP with each other are something else.)

> In libwww 5.2, I find in <http://www.w3.org/Library/src/HTReq.html>:

Well, I am highly impressed with libwww 5.2,
it was completely rewritten and now the code clean and well documented
(I especially like User/Architecture/*.html),
it also include DNS cache and a persistent document's cache.
I think both caches should be a system-wide
on multitask/multiuser system (it is not an user-agent job,
otherwise we got obvious wasting or resources: different user-agents,
different versions, etc.), all we need is a "history" calls
without any revalidation, think there is no such standard
calls for arbitrary system-wide cache.
So we need a user-agent's feature:
we already have rendered document's cache (in-memory)
and also need in-memory cache for sources for "mode 2" calls only.

And yes, it may be useful to have a persistent cache for "single user"
machines as optional (mainly for non-UNIX ports).

I am not optimistic in moving Lynx to libwww 5.2 -
although they are mutually similar there are lots of differences
(chartrans implementation, for example), this is a long-standing work
for guru. Also new libwww have a different documentations/comments style:
lynx's code looks hairy but self-documented (some how).

Is it possible to implement a _part_ of new libwww,
its HTTP/1.1 core including cache ?