lynx-dev

lynx-dev Weird #defines for OS/390

From: pg
Subject: lynx-dev Weird #defines for OS/390
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:51:43 -0700 (MST)

Hello, Lyncei,

Heretofore, I've done my OS/390 Lynx compilations with the Legacy C
compiler.  Now, I'm trying the Posix compiler (actually the same
compiler with different options.)  To make this work I must do:

    CC=c89 \
    CFLAGS="-D_OE_SOCKETS -D_ALL_SOURCE" \
        ../configure

I'm wondering how much of this I can reflect back to the
source tree.  Since I find the following:

                 The Single UNIX ® Specification, Version 2
                       Copyright © 1997 The Open Group

     c89 - compile standard C programs

     cc - a C-language compilation system (LEGACY)

I might reasonably claim that "configure" should make "c89" its
second choice for a compiler name, after "gcc", but before "cc".

the "-D_OE_SOCKETS -D_ALL_SOURCE" is pure idiosyncratic nonsense;
I've complained about it to IBM tech support; it shouldn't be
necessary.  Certainly, I could craft tests in "configure" which
would fail if the two definitions were necessary, but I'm reluctant
to further burden configure for the sake of one target system.
The alternative is to add the defines to CFLAGS if host_os=os390,
but this is the very sort of ad-hoc coding that configure is
designed to avoid.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
gil