lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Year 2000 Compliancy

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Year 2000 Compliancy
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:09:41 +0000 (GMT)

> Rosalind Miller averred (on Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 11:46:12AM -0800):
> | Question:  Is lynx 2.6 year 2000 compliant?
>
> Why would you ask a question like that about a browser?

Most probable reason:  he's received a management directive to confirm it
for all the software, and the easiest way is to pass the responsibility up
the chain by asking the supplier.

Real reason:  browsers need to do calculations on dates to determine whether
a page has expired.  In fact he should probably be asking his management
whether the timekeeping on their internal systems is internet compliant,
as lots of things only work properly if times and timezones are handled
accurately, but on some LANs I've seen it is not uncommon to be 20 minutes,
and/or one timezone out.