lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:55:03 -0800

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 01:38:23AM -0800, brian j. pardy wrote:
> > Finding myself overcome by insomnia, I decided to sit down and do
> > something I had been meaning to for a while, and fix some of my spacing
> > errors -- I never remember to put two spaces after the end of a sentence.
> >
> > I didn't touch the various .po files, being unsure how those should be
> > handled to keep them in sync with the translators that are at work.  The
> > majority of the patches are nothing more than two-space nits, but there
> > are also two places where LYCookie.c is incorrectly called LYCookies.c in
> > CHANGES.
>
> It's good that you got this out of your system now before a lot of
> translators have worked on our project ;-) The "po" files are generated
> by auto-magically (I guess I should document that so others can maintain
> it).

Okay, since they're generated I'm even more glad I didn't spend the time
messing with them. :)

> > I did change some gettext()'d lines, but the large majority is in
> > comments.
>
> Consistency is good. Changing existing gettext strings may invalidate
> prior translation work, but other than Henry's Japanese, I'm not
> aware of a complete translation done for Lynx. In a few weeks, the
> Free Translation Project will take our code and farm it out to their
> volunteers. I'd like to clean up my "po" work before that.

Hopefully the only invalidation will be requiring the msgid="" string
to change, none of mine should change the grammar at all.

Probably some kind of large-scale grammatical review should be done before
everything gets farmed out.

> FWIW, the "par" program that I use to format email into ~72 column text
> puts one space a period.

My *brain* puts one space after each period, and it's proving to be a
really difficult habit to break.

--
CURSOR:
        One whose program will not run.