lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Cookies / Dump_Output_Imm part 3

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies / Dump_Output_Imm part 3
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:36:29 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Elwin M. Oost wrote:
> Hi, me again,
>
> I use this command to fetch a page:
>

> lynx -source "http:///web.site.nl/the/page.asp?var=1"; > OutFile
>
> (This page requests a cookie saved in a previous session, btw)
>

> It works as it should, the page is saved, but I still get the error message
>
> lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain
>       Exiting...
>
> (It is a plain html file, by the way...)
>
> Perhaps this has to do with the RTFWriter's removal of the
> "if (dump_output_immediately)" line?

Yes, you probably have found the reason why the exit() was in
HTFWriter_free - to skip any messages which might be generated later
(in this case, in mainloop()), and maybe some other unimportant processing
that may occur.

Alternative (to "just remove the if (dump_output_immediately) stuff")
solutions:

1) reinstate the "if (dump_output_immediately)" stuff, and put a call to
   LYStoreCookies in there.

2) remove the "if (dump_output_immediately)" stuff, and change the
   conditions under which mainloop() produces the message.  (This could
   also involve changeing some code in getfile(), to not return NULLFILE
   under the appropriate dump_output_immediately conditions.)

(1) has the problem that storing cookies may sometimes be not appropriate.
(The same problem as "just remove the if (dump_output_immediately) stuff",
as I mentioned in another message, for example with -mime_header.)

(2) additionally has the problem that the message may sometimes be skipped
when it _should_ appear (because something went wrong).  So it should be
checked against teh various cases of dump_output_immediately whether the
behavior is as it should.

    Klaus