lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Can not access remote host

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Can not access remote host
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:50:37 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Olaf Jörk wrote:

Thanks for providing a bug report with -trace output!

Unfortunately, it doesn't show which version/release your are using.
Also the info what OS exactly you are using might give someone some
hint (although not me).

> Helo,
> I've got a problem with the compiled lynx. It will not access pages on
> remote servers. The machine is running a svr4.
> The described problem with SunOS etc. was pointless. The DNS address
> resolution is ok.
>
> I included a report of: lynx -trace
>
> There are two entries in /etc/services:
>
> http 80/tcp
> http 80/udp
>
> The WWW-Server is www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de.
> The client is within the same domain.
>

> shortened Report:
> =================

> HTMLDTD: Copying DTD element info of size 5192, 118 * 44
> ProcessMailcapFile: ........
>
> HTParse: aName:http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de:80/index.html
> relatedName:1
> HTParse: result:http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> LYMain.c: User in REMOTE domain
> Entering mainloop,
> startfile=http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> getfile: getting http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> HTParse: aName:http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> relatedName:
> HTParse: result:www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de
> Getting http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> HTParse: aName:http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> relatedName:
> HTParse: result:
> Entered HTAnchor_findAddress
> New anchor 814e820 has hash 94 and address
> `http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html'
> HTAccess: loading document http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> HTParse: aName:http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
> relatedName:
> HTParse: result:www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de
>
> Looking up www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de.
> HTParseInet: Parsed address as port 80, IP address 172.17.90.40  -----
> address is ok
> Making HTTP connection to www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de.
> HTTP: Unable to connect to remote host for
> `http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html' (errno = 150).

Something has gone wrong in HTDoConnect (HTTCP.c).  It could be either the
connect() or the select() call there.  Unfortunately we only get errno
as a number.  Try to find out what errno==150 means on your system, by
looking it up in /usr/include/errno.h (or one of the files included
there).

> Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
>
> HTAccess:  status=-29999
> HTAccess: `http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html' has been
> accessed, No data loaded.
> lynx: Can't access startfile
> http://www1.lag.justiz.sachsen.de/index.html
>

> MX-ADV: ...ome/olaf/tmp/gtzs/lynx2-8 > telnet www1 80
> Trying 172.17.90.40 ...
> Connected to linux.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET http://www1/index.html HTTP/1.0
>
> got the requested page from the server. What's wrong ?

Hard to tell, especially without knowing what the errno means.

Since this is all behind a firewall / using a private network, we cannot
check from outside what is happening.  Can you trace with tcpdump or some
similar tool what packets exactly (if any) are sent over the interface?

I would also try to disable NSL_FORK (although the lookup seems to work
fine).

    Klaus