lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: LYNX: cursor showing strangely on screen in newest version

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: LYNX: cursor showing strangely on screen in newest version
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:55:11 -0800

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| > Hmmm ... firstly, something seems to be rather busted with your mail s/w,
| > Tom.  Your Date: header is suddenly coming across the wire (in two consec-
| > utive messages) as:
|
| I'm mailing from elm (the sysadmins on my ISP don't know much about
| configuring programs for users; there "is" a copy of mutt, but whoever
| "configured" it set it up for his home directory).

The problem is/was with whatever s/w elm hands your message off to (likely,
sendmail), which actually generates the Date: header.

Seems that mutt just happens to bring the problem to light, since its
processing of the TZ data is intolerant of the bogus format/data, whereas
other mailers (elm, for one) ignore/overlook/fixup the bad TZ string.

Whether such fixing-up is the "right thing to do" is problematic, as doing
so won't help get the root-cause of the problem (sendmail, or whatever)
fixed.

Fortunately, these piddling little messages aren't controlling anything
really important, like a heart-lung machine, or a few nukes, but this kind
of thing really *does* make one wonder just how bad things will be in 365
days ... all Y2K overhype, aside.

BTW, your Date: header is back to its usual, proper self.  Seems that this
glitch only lasted for a few hours (which makes it a kind of scary, time-
bomb sort of bug, that's still lurking about ...).

Jean-Pierre (on this list) hit the bug with his own messages on his machine,
and at least one other person hit the same thing in yet another environment
(and posted about it to the mutt-dev list).  Point being, that the bug seems
to be fairly widespread ... which does not portend well for 1/1/00.

Ah well ... just a foretickle of things to come, I suppose.  I'll get off my
soapsuds now ... :-) ...

| I've already a lot
| of stuff in my shell account, and don't want to load up things that "work".

I know the feeling well ...!

/kim