lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev mime types?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mime types?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 19:44:25 +0000 (GMT)

> Someone else mentioned that mimetypes were a *server* thing..  Ok, my
> impression that this was basically the same as setting up application mappings
> in GUI browsers.. which is definitely an end user thing.

This is an Internet Explorer specific bug, which Microsoft seem unwilling
to fix.  I think they reckon that the server is more likely to be
misconfigured than the browser, and therefore they will get less support
calls if they use the browser configuration.  (It's actually worse than
it seems; declaring HTML source as text/plain will not give you the
source on IE, because it looks at the content and thinks it knows better!)