Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:07:54 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Bela Lubkin said:
> I doubt this would make any noticable difference, as long as [ug]id's
> are being cached.  It might also help to use a setpwent(), repeat
> getpwent() loop to fill that cache, rather than specific getpwuid() for
> each new ID.  (But that could cost a lot of memory on systems with large
> /etc/passwd.)

How many subdirectories really how files owned by more than a handful of
different owners?

Mostly /tmp.

So preloading the cache would not gain much in the average case, I would

       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all and be right at least twice a day.  -- mrc