lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 + Minuet = wacky characters

From: Jay
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 + Minuet = wacky characters
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 19:15:15 -0800

In message <address@hidden>,
"Mark E. Crane" <address@hidden> writes:

>Is there any way to configure Lynx 2.7.1 for Unix to prevent it
>from displaying inverse space characters in my client software
>whenever a screen refresh (ctrl-w) takes place?

[snip]

>However-there is one snake in the garden.  We're using Minuet, a
>suite of abandonware apps from U of minn.  Unfortunately, Minuet
>doesn't do pure vt100 emulation, I am told.  So whenever Lynx
>wants to redraw/refresh the screen, like after you A)dd a
>bookmark, every single blank space on the screen is filled with
>a *reverse* space, except for the blank spaces between words.  It
>looks really crappy and freaks out my students, who are used to
>using computers that are younger than they are.

        If you're serious about terminal emulation, forget about
Minuet. You'll just frustrate yourself and your users.

        I suggest checking out MS-DOS Kermit -- terrific terminal
emulation (and much more), and it's freeware. Furthermore, Kermit
works great over TCP/IP networks using packet drivers, so it
should fit right in at your lab. Here's a URL:

        http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

Hope this helps.
                                                - Jay
--
``What hath night to do with sleep?    John Milton,        T^\---+')
  Night hath better sweets to prove.''    1634.     Perth-->*      |