lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev visited links: suggestion

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev visited links: suggestion
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:57:04 -0500 (EST)

990119 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 19-Jan-99 02:26 Philip Webb wrote:
>> individual compilers can create their own  /tmp  directory for Lynx.
>> one advantage i have found is that Visited Links is a file there:
>> if Lynx crashes or the system gets rebooted, the VL file remains
>> & you can rename it eg to  vl990105.html  for future access using  g ;
> I thought on Visited Links being persistent across sessions.  First,
> this list getting to be very long & we should cut it off by some rule.

that's not my idea & for the reason you give.
what i'm suggesting is an option to have Lynx save VL at end-of-session:
the user can then access it in future sessions as a file using  g ;
people who don't want it or have limited directory space
can leave it out when editing  lynx.cfg .

> Second, this list should be without repetitions,
> i.e. if you follow a link that was visited before
> it will be added on the top AND removed from its previous location,
> but this check is rather slow for a long list.

this would improve the housekeeping of VL with or without saving it:
for most people, the list wouldn't get too long in a single session.
mine does because i'm using Screen, which saves Lynx between logons,
so it would be nice to have a way of saving the existing VL
& starting a new one within the same Lynx session.

> we should keep list in memory, not on a disk while we are running lynx
> and save it on quit but be aware of delay on startup: we should optimize,
> say load VL file when you press Shift-V for the first time.

that's what seems to happen now: at least, it's updated at each  V .

> Another problem from multiple lynx sessions started at the same account,
> like with persistent cookies (still open).

Lynx could use the  /tmp  name derived from the process number.