lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.1

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.1
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:37:06 -0500 (EST)

990119 Mark Ox wrote:
> I just downloaded lynx 2.8.1
> and can't make heads or tails of how to install it.
> I read the installation file and it was all Greek to me.

it's free, which means you have to be prepared to do your part,
incl making an effort to read INSTALLATION, which really isn't hard.

> Is there supposed to be something simply, like lynx.exe that you run?

not in the package you have, but goto  http://lynx.browser.org/
& follow the links from there to find `binaries',
which are pre-compiled versions of Lynx;
you need to choose one which is appropriate for your system,
but then it should work (more or less) out of the box.

> I don't know anything about compiling or whatever else you're supposed to do.

it's not difficult, but if you can find a suitable binary, you don't need to.
if you still have problems, ask again here,
telling us what hardware & software you are using (eg Windows95, DOS):
Lynx works on many different systems, but a bit differently for each.