lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:22:13 -0500

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 11:47:26PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Here's the explanation of what it means for a program to be GNU
> software.  We'd be happy to have Lynx as a GNU program, so it's
> up to the Lynx developers whether that is what you want to do.

> Calling a program GNU software means that its developers and the GNU
> project agree that "This program is part of the GNU project, released
> under the aegis of GNU"--and say so in the program.
>
> This means we would normally put the program on ftp.gnu.org (although
> we could instead refer to the developer's choice of ftp site) and we
> would want to put pages about the program on the GNU web server.
>
> It means that the developers would agree pay some attention to making
> the program work well with the rest of the GNU system--and conversely
> that the GNU project would encourage other GNU maintainers to pay some
> attention to making their programs fit in well with it.
>
> Just what it means to make programs work well together is mainly a
> practical matter that depends on what the program does.  But there are
> a few general principles.  Certain parts of the GNU coding standards
> directly affect the consistency of the whole system.  These include
> the standards for configuring and building a program, and the
> standards for command-line options.  It is important to make all GNU
> programs follow these standards, where they are applicable.
>
> A GNU program should not recommend use of any non-free program, and it
> should not refer the user to any non-free documentation.  The need for
> free documentation is now a major focus of the GNU project; to show
> that we are serious about the need for free documentation, we must not
> contradict our position by recommending use of documentation that
> isn't free.
>
> Occasionally there are issues of terminology which are important for
> the success of the GNU project as a whole.  So we ask maintainers of
> GNU programs to follow them.  For example, the documentation files
> and comments in the program should speak of Linux-based GNU systems or
> GNU/Linux systems, rather than calling the whole system "Linux", and
> should use the term "free software" rather than "open source".
>
> Deciding that a program is GNU software does not necessarily require
> transferring copyright to the FSF; that is a separate issue.

I'm forwarding this to the Lynx developers list for comments.

I would like to make the following points:

*)  Lynx has been distributed with a GNU license for a couple years
    now.  Making it a GNU program will give us a more stable
    distribution point than we have now.

*)  Many people have contributed to the Lynx source code.  Some of
    them understand the GNU coding standards and some don't.  The
    major difference I've seen is that our long options don't use
    two dashes, but one.  Changing this would break existing scripts!

*)  We've been using configure for a couple years to make Lynx a
    program that runs in many environments.

*)  Lynx is definitely free software.

*)  Lynx has already shipped on GNU CD-ROMS, so it's "almost GNU" :-)

*)  We've had discussions about what other software to recommend in
    the past, with input from Richard.

I asked other sites as well about being mirrors or hosts for the Lynx
distribution. Paul Vixie has offered web or FTP space on his servers as
a host. This is also a viable option to the GNU site, and I would prefer
that myself (but this is a collective decision).

The operator of ftp.digital.com has also agreed to be a mirror site.
This site has oodles of space and very good bandwidth.

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Don't think for a moment that I enjoyed doing that because I didn't.