lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Bug in Lynx 2.8rel.2

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug in Lynx 2.8rel.2
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:47:48 -0500 (EST)

990122 Kristin Murray wrote:
> While downloading this file :
>  www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~wertmann/homepage3.html
> Heretic wad halfway down the page,
> the path to it got truncated so this is how much I can see:
>  samuel.cs.uni-potsdam.de/homepages/students/wertmann/heretic/wad.gz
> I got this error:
> A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2
> Lynx now exiting with signal:  11
> IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
> I'm running linux 2.0.36, libc5 (slackware 3.5)
> and was running from console, not X.
> I'm on a regular old ethernet, no proxy, firewall or anything..

(i completed the 2nd URL above: enter  E  (edit current link) to show it)

first, update to the latest 2-8-1 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ :
we want to help, but volunteers don't have time to support older versions.

i tested the URLs using 2-8-1rel.1 on this IRIX 5.3 system.
no problem with the 1st; the 2nd (Shareware Wad) is a  2,3 M  file,
which when downloaded starts another, writing garbage to the screen,
which eventually hangs with `Memory exhausted' after  928 pp .
i'm using Screen & ran it in a dedicated window,
so i didn't see a Lynx error message.

i'm sure you're perfectly serious, but could this site be a sick joke?