lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: looking for space for lynx distribution
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:35:46 +0000 (GMT)

> Does this mean that the developers wouldn't have to jump through all of the
> paperwork hoops?  At times it seems as if the FSF has become a slow
> behemoth with allowing people to start contributing to the software to any
> major extent.  Signing disclaimers and the like.

Freeware tends not to have a well founded copyright status; most of the
paperwork is probably to stop things like an author's employers suddenly
claiming that they own the code.

> What is the licence on libwww?  Is it GPL?  Would that have to be separated

It is as near public domain as the law allows, at least the original
one is.  Some countries don't allow material to be put into the public
domain except many years after the author's death.  Basically, CERN
disclaimed all intellectual property rights to the maximum extent that
the law allowed - this is more extreme than a Berkeley style licence.

> out?  Ie, can someone take the libwww as distributed by lynx and put it
> into their own program with no acknowledgement or source code availability?

No, because that code contains GPLed amendments.  I believe you can do
this with the standalone version and the version in the CERN web server.

> Personally, I think becoming a GNU program would be more headache than it's
> worth.

I think most of the headaches arose when it was put under the GPL.