lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.15 - textarea editing

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.15 - textarea editing
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:31:14 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> 990128 Greg Marr wrote:
> > At 03:56 PM 1/28/99 , Bela wrote:
> >> Enhancement request: add a way to expand form textareas *on-screen*
> >> without invoking external editor.  e.g. suppose I've filled 10 lines
> >> of a 10-line on-screen textarea, then use "edit externally"
> >> and add an 11th line.  As I understand it, on return to Lynx,
> >> I'll see the new contents, all 11 lines' worth --
> >> the on-screen space will have expanded.  The request is,
> >> now that we know how to do that, add another key which means
> >> "skip the editor, just gimme another blank line at the bottom
> >> of this textarea my cursor is in".
> > Someone else asked recently about being able to paste a text file
> > into a textarea.  It can be done through the external editor,
> > but having an "Insert File" function might be nice.
>
> we shouldn't use up too many scarce keys on this feature,
> but we could presumably use control-keys with special meanings
> which are confined to form fields, as  ^v  is already.

Instead of "wasting" a key, this could be done by adding a special
kind of link under the textarea, like internally generating the
equivalent to <A HREF="lynxspecial:expand-textarea">Expand text area</A>.

The bigger problem is having to modify an already-finished HText
document structure.  It is doable, but would be very tricky.
Easier under simplifying assumptions (like: there are no unexpected
anchors on the line after which we want to insert more lines.)
Would have to adjust all TextAnchors after that point.

    Klaus