lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx for 3rd World (unanswered query)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx for 3rd World (unanswered query)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:01:13 +73900 (EST)

990118 Giovanni Ferraiolo wrote from the Bio-safety Program
at the International Centre for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology:
> I have completely revised the section of the website I am mantaining
> in order to have it fully readable with Lynx or any other browser.
> Main users of this section are located in developing countries
> with slow networks and slow computers
> and I would like to promote among them the use of Lynx.
> What should I suggest to our users?

Lynx is available in binary form for Windows & DOS:
goto  www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm .
it's not difficult to compile for UNIX, VMS & several other systems:
the latest stable version is available at  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/
& comes with full instructions on installation.
for much more information, start at  lynx.browser.org/ .

> Easily they do not have Lynx available on their server.
> do you know of any telnet site which offer free access for using Lynx?

 telnet://ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp ,
 telnet://sailor.lib.md.us ;
also see  www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/public_lynx.html .

> Is it available a HTML page tester running on Mac?

the Maclynx site is  www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/maclynx/ .

anyone else have advice on this potentially important use of Lynx?  DK, HN ?