lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 15:33:23 -0800

Mykola Sereda wrote:

>         Why label the contents? Why should a user leaf through some
> labels which have no interest to him? Such as, for me, some "Taiwanese"
> or a pile of other nuisance, including "NeXT" and other choices? And
> what will happen, when all the other deserving world cultures and
> CharSets will be registered? The choices will go into some hundreds ...
>
>         Instead, the 8 bit texts should be transmitted or displayed
> automatically without any bargaining. If I hit some Taiwanese site,
> and the display would be incompehensible, what difference it makes
> whether it is incomprehesensible because I do not know Taiwanese,
> or whether on top of it, it is incompehensible to someone who unlike
> me understands Taiwanese, the text being improperly displayed? If
> someone wishes to read Taiwanese, or Ukrainian, or whatever, let him
> take care of displaying Taiwanese, or Ukrainian - but let him receive
> it integrally.

You are ignoring the possibility of a user who reads *both* Taiwanese
and Ukranian -- or any other two languages which require different
character sets.  Such a user benefits tremendously from the automatic
notification, HTTP server -> browser, which allows the browser to
display everything in sane character sets.

You don't see this because you are interested only in Ukranian (for
which you have a special character set), and presumably English (which
has special status as the "base" ASCII character set -- its letters are
present in all of the other-language charsets).  It is not inconceivable
that you would also speak Taiwanese: surely there are students of many
languages in every country.