lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev1[345] hangs on exit

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.2dev1[345] hangs on exit
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:13:08 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Klaus Weide said:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mike Castle wrote:
> > I don't see a setbuf or any of it's like affecting the logfile.
>
> You might find it in your C library's source code.

I should have qualified that with "in the Lynx source code".  I had assumed
that from the context, especially "affecting the logfile" would have
indicated that I was referring the Lynx source code rather than the system
libraries.

I shouldn't post when sick I suppose.

> Well a cursory look may not be enough.  Anyway, if not to a file, trace
> output normally goes to stderr, not stdout.  And I don't think lynx
> ever tries to close that...
>
> I wouldn't count on Lynx properly closing a trace log file when killed
> with ^\, especially if it's already in some weird hanging state.  To
> me that is a good reason for having a -tlog flag.

Ok.  My attention span was rather shot at the time, and I could never even
find where tfp was being defined (as a macro in libwww pointing to TraceFP)
and didn't properly follow the LYCloseCloseTracelog and LYReopenTracelog
functions.

Truth to tell, until I saw this reply, the concept of "stderr" and how it
works differently from "stdout" had completely slipped my feverish mind.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all