lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext, disabling TRACE

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext, disabling TRACE
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 02:52:59 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > A lot of the CTRACE calls are still feeding english to the output
> [...]

I don't think anybody is seriously thinking about translating the 10000
CTRACE strings.  It's not only too much work, it also doesn't make sense
(then only people using the same localization can make sense of trace
dumps).

> My opinion is that there is entirely too much CTRACE code in place.
> It should all be able to be turned off with a compile time switch.

At the top of HTUtils.h:

#ifndef DEBUG
#define DEBUG   /* Noone ever turns this off as trace is too important */
#endif          /* Keep option for really small memory applications tho */

By disabling that, all CTRACE output should be completely disabled.
If the compiler optimizes away everything that now looks like
  if (0) fprintf(...),
the binary may become a lot smaller.  Has anyone tried this?
(This alone wouldn't disable -trace and ^T and ';' though.)

> PLEASE do not put all that debugging code in a gettext call.
>
> I personally am not going to do the help files.  (There already is
> some excellent Japanese documentation out there.)

It looks like much more work than only translating the messages.

     Klaus