lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:22:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 1999, Ismael Cordeiro (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | I couldn't find any previous report about this problem.
> |
> | When using EDITTEXTAREA, 8-bit characters are "translated" to dots when
> | I quit the editor. If I go back to the editor, the original 8-bit
> | characters appear as dots.
>
> It shouldn't be "8-bit chars" that get replaced with a ".", but only
> "control chars" (ie, chars with numeric values below a SPACE, in either
> ASCII or EBCDIC).

No, they are not control characters, not even 8-bit control characters
(128-159). They are ISO 8859-1 printable characters (160-255). When I quit
the text editor back to lynx they are "translated" to dots. Anyway, if
control characters were not allowed, nobody could use CR (13), LF (10) or
TAB (9).

> It is true that such chars have been replaced with .'s if you reedit the
> TEXTAREA with the external editor, since the temp file cannot be reused
> (you may well have made changes to the text within the TEXTAREA, while
> still in lynx itself, which need to be reflected into the next external
> editor invocation).

Then why the 7-bit characters appear correct when I call again the text
editor?

> Currently it is necessary to do *something* with such chars when they are
> rendered into the TEXTAREA lines. Leaving them as control chars, causes
> Bad Things to happen, when lines containing them later get submit'ted,
> etc.

Is there any RFC or similar document saying that control characters are not
allowed in TEXTAREA?

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |