lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev screen-problem

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen-problem
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:32:36 +0000 (GMT)

> I am using a VT100 TERMINAL connection to my provider in Vienna, who has

VT100s haven't been manufactured for 10 to 15 years, what are you actually
using?

> to move to any other field therafter, I get a linefeed, so the cursor moves
> still further away from the position it is meant to be. If I guess well
> where I am, I still get a search result.

All these sorts of symptoms are consistent with a broken VT100 emulation
(e.g. Microsoft terminal) or invalid termcap/terminfo/TERM variable settings
on the host.

To check the first ones, use a *real* VT100, or, for a PC emulation,
MS-DOS kermit from kermit.columbia.edu.  The latter has some restrictions
because PC text mode is fundamentally incapable of emulating a VT100, for
some features, and cannot emulate some others in a portable way.  (MS-DOS
kermit also has some features unimplemented for security reasons, but
Lynx doesn't use these.)