lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful

From: David H
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:28:47 -0600 (CST)

Henry wrote:
>However, as I count the Ctrl-[a-z] being used, there seem to be a few left.
>
>Would any of ^W, ^Y, ^I or ^M be bad?  Could ^, be used?

^I is <tab>.  That's taken for NEXT_LINK (or the new NEXT_LINK variant).

^M is <enter> or <return>.  That's taken for ACTIVATE.

^Y is a variation on ^Z in Unix systems.  ^Z suspends immediately, but
^Y waits until there are no more characters in the input buffer.  (In
other words, if you've pressed keys that haven't been acted on yet and
you press ^Z, your extra keystrokes will be discarded.  If you press ^Y,
though, the OS will wait for all pending keystrokes to be at least read.)

^W is a delete-word^Wredraw-screen command in Lynx.  I've never seen it
used as this in any other application, and ^L is always available, so I'd
say ^W is available.  (Personally, I prefer ^W to do the Unix-thing of
delete-previous-word, which is by default mapped to ^B, but maybe that's
just me.)

^^ (or ^6) is not, so far as I know, reserved as an stty signal, so it
might be available.  However, pressing ^^ is somewhat unexpected, so if
it's used, it should be for some advanced thing.

[Hmm... Lynx 2.8.2dev16 doesn't seem to send my preferred E-mail address
with mail messages; it's sending "address@hidden" instead of
"address@hidden" as it's configured.  2.7.1 on the same machine *does*
send the correct "From:" line.  Was this an intentional change?]

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com