lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:35:27 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:

> > From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> > What slang version are you using?  What terminal type?  Do things
> > change if you set TERM differently?
>
> SLANG_VERSION is 9938.
> TERM=vt220 + color.
>
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:
> >
> > Have you checked the value directly after GetChar() calls?
> >
> > It's not clear what that 0x10F is - a slang code or a lynxkeycode.
>
> It's the value immediately returned from LYgetch().

If you are checking only after LYgetch(), that's probably too late;
by then the deed has been done.  It doesn't tell us with certainty whether
the value is returned "from slang" or whether it's something the LYgetch()
in Lynx makes out of something else "from slang".

If it is returned from slang - that would mean it is the value directly
after GetChar() AFAICS - then looking for the #define KEY_* (or SL_KEY_*)
in your slang.h could give a hint what slang thinks it is doing.

> The def of LYgetch() is ifdef'd.  I don't know what 0x10F
> is either, but hte return val of LYgetch is used to
> subscript KeyBinding[] (or whatever the name of the array is in
> LYEditmap.c...)
>
> > Here is something you could try: Find the place in LYCurses.h where
> > USE_KEYMAPS is defined, comment that out, and recompile.  The code
> > should then fall back to the way input was handled in previous versions,
> > although I haven't tried whether it still compiles.
>
> Is USE_KEYMAPS defined for both slang and ncurses?

Always for slang if not with djgpp, only if same HAVE_ is defined for
ncurses, as you can find in LYCurses.h.

> It works fine when I build with screen=ncurses.
> What exactly does USE_KEYMAPS do?

It makes the code more difficult to understand and different from what it
used to be, among other things - and it seems to be implemented quite
differently between slang and ncurses - so I think it's not too far off
to suspect that it might have created some problem with slang but not with
ncurses.

Of course it could also be that it was always broken with slang on your
system and you just never noticed.  Or it could be that the latest patches
magically fix things...

   Klaus