Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:38:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> As I said before, there is no ISO-9945-2 charset registered with IANA. Now
> I went a little farther and realize that it also unknown for any other
> authority like - there is no such thing as ISO 9945-2
> charset in the World, there is an "ISO 9945-2 charmap format" for
> representing a charset mapping (we have similar format in chrtrans/*.tbl
> tables)
> So the table received from a Ukrainian fellow was a "Description of full
> KOI8-U codepage in ISO 9945-2 charmap format" as it is on

Exactly. ISO 9945 is not a character set standard. I've never read it but
probably it defines, among other things, a charmap format. The titles of the
ISO 9945-x standards are:

ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 Information technology -- Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) -- Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) [C

ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 Information technology -- Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) -- Part 2: Shell and Utilities

Amendment 2 to ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 Shell and Utilitity Addendum

The best refrence to character sets in the Internet is Roman Czyborra's web
page ( and his ISO 8859 Alphabet Soup
( and The Cyrillic Charset Soup

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | |