lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: screen (can't win...:)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: screen (can't win...:)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:07:09 -0800

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999, Laura Eaves (address@hidden) said:

| I'm sure there's a workaround for this -- some settings
| in .screenrc or whatever -- so I should probably rt*m...
| but it's always easier to ask a guru.  Anyone else use screen?

Yep, I use screen, but I also only use good ol' reliable 7-bit
ASCII (aka, POA), so I've never looked into the charset morass.

WRT screen(1), I *think* this is one area that is fairly version
dependent, so this may or may not apply (we're running 3.07.04):

From our man page:

       c1 [on|off]

       Change  c1  code processing. "C1 on" tells screen to treat
       the input characters between 128 and 159 as control  func-
       tions.   Such  an  8-bit  code is normally the same as ESC
       followed by the corresponding 7-bit code. The default set-
       ting  is  to  process c1 codes and can be changed with the
       "defc1" command.  Users with fonts that have usable  char-
       acters in the c1 positions may want to turn this off.

and

       charset set

       Change  the  current  character  set  slot designation and
       charset mapping.  The first  four  character  of  set  are
       treated  as  charset designators while the fifth and sixth
       character must be in range '0' to '3' and  set  the  GL/GR
       charset  mapping.  On  every position a '.' may be used to
       indicate that the corresponding charset/mapping should not
       be  changed (set is padded to six characters internally by
       appending  '.'   chars).  New  windows  have  "BBBB02"  as
       default charset, unless a "kanji" command is active.
       The current setting can be viewed with the "info" command.

There are also the termcap/terminfo/termcapinfo "tweaks" that you
can ask screen(1) to "apply" to its notion of your actual termcap/
terminfo (which may be of possible use to you).

/kim