lynx-dev

lynx-dev IRIX/EBCDIC

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev IRIX/EBCDIC
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:41:49 -0500 (EST)

990222 Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> I've (thankfully) forgotten most IRIX weirdness
> I used to have to work around -- friendly suggestions snipped --
>> so why is configure assuming i have EBCDIC on this IRIX 5.3 ?!
> Heh.  It's a conspiracy by the Blue Crew at Armonk ... :-) ...!

i thought they were now Good Guys, promoting Linux'n'all ...

> Seriously, IRIX is/was a Royal PITA
> to get many "freely available" packages to work properly with.

i've never had a serious problem, eg with Lynx, Screen, Strace.
CHASS bought the SGI machine some years ago for speed
& system load is rarely noticeable to a user,
tho' whether a maximum of  c 160  users is hi/lo, i don't know.

> I'm sure Tom can come up with a configure rule of some kind
> to avoid the problem define.

something is needed, surely.  this little episode is slightly disturbing
in that no-one else seemed to have a clue while TD has been busy:
it's not healthy to rely too much on any one person, however capable & willing.
it's been good for me to build a bit of confidence, of course ...