lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev EBCDIC again

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev EBCDIC again
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:28:21 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:25:41 -0500 (EST)
>
> i forgot to ask pg: why does your `boogiewoogie' line not act on OS390 ?

If the character set appears to be EBCDIC, it's skipped by the "#if" in:

    #if '0'!=240
    #error "Character set is not EBCDIC"
          make an error
    #endif

BTW, let me withdraw my earlier "boogabooga" overexuberance.
aclocal.m4/configure uses any of:

    make an error

(3 occurrences)

    int x = ;       /* force an error */

(2 occurrences), or

    choke me

(21 occurrences in configure, apparently generated from a single
occurrence in aclocal.m4)

It would better to use one of these (as in my rewritten excerpt above)
for consistency with existing conventions.

-- gil