Re: lynx-dev gettext support

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext support
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:30:34 -0500 (EST)

> On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 02:56:08PM +0300, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> > Since Lynx now supports GETTEXT'ed statusline translations
> > I think the comment from LYMessages_en.h should be rewritten
> > as well as probably other referenses to this file (userdefs.h ?).
> >
> > Also, I was unlucky to find a "collections of alternate definitions"
> > at
> > - probably at another location but obviously out of sync now.
> My idealistic view is this "_en" file should just go away. Until that
> happens, users should be directed to ABOUT_NLS. The situation with
> available translations is "in limbo" until some people post URLs with
> message catalogs that are valid.

my practical view - I'd like to take another crack at making the Solaris
gettext work (I'm digging out from the backlog resulting from spending
60% of my time for the past 6 weeks working on another project).  Putting
most of the messages in one file is one of the side effects of working
within Solaris's gettext limitations.
> We have my faked-up French version, parts of a faked-up Italian one I
> haven't finished, a Japanese version that Henry put together, and
> rumours of a German catalog Klaus has done.  The "Free Translation
> Project" has yet to issue a Lynx translation.
> Sigh.
c'est la vie.
> ------
> <>