lynx-dev

lynx-dev --disable-gopher flag (was: bloating binaries)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev --disable-gopher flag (was: bloating binaries)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:51:33 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 06:19:27PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > When lynx is compiled without gopher code, does attempting to go to a gopher
> > link provide some kind of useful message [ ... ]
>
> No, my patch just "zeroes" the HTGopher.o module. Someone who has a
> valid gopher URL could probably test what it does.

(or even an invalid one...)

> Since I have seen no
> gopher URLs in years (and never one of much use), I have little interest
> in documenting how to do this other than: it's in the configure file as
> --enable-gopher and --disable-gopher. Seems pretty self-explanatory. It
> also shows up in the configure options screen as NO_GOPHER=1.

+ [  --disable-gopher  disable GOPHER logic],

That's not entirely true, some gopher: URLs are treated specially and
"redirected" early or otherwise handled in some way (search
LYGetFile.c for GOPHER_URL_TYPE).  That logic is not disabled.

So some gopher: URLs may still get through - afaics that only applies
to some form of HTML_GOPHER_URL_TYPE (the gopher: URL is effectively
changed to a http: URL).   Also if gopher_proxy is pointed to a proxy
that can handle gopher: URLs, those URLs will still get through.

I'm not saying that anything has to change, just to keep this in mind.

+ [  --disable-gopher  disable GOPHER protocol access],

would be a slightly more accurate, I think.

   Klaus