lynx-dev

lynx-dev NNN <something-or-nothing> (was: syntax change)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev NNN <something-or-nothing> (was: syntax change)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 03:44:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 1999, Laura Eaves (address@hidden) said:
> | What do you think the interface should be?  What option(s) on the options
> | menu &&/|| lynx.cfg &&/|| .lynxrc &&/|| command line? and what should it/
> | they specify?
>
> Nothing overly involved.  Just one option in the o(ption) screen/menu,
> under "user preferences", titled (say) "Numeric link selection format".
>
> Two alternatives named (say):
>
>  "Backwardly compatible entry"  and
>  "Natural order entry"
>
> or some such.

   "123 goes" and
   "123 needs g to go"

is one such some such...

Here a more general, more extensible approach:

Currently we have (ignoring the +/- stuff, shouldn't be a problem to fit in)

    123      - follow link
    123 g    - position on link
    123 p    - position on page

Make that instead

    123 f    - follow link
    123 g    - position on link
    123 p    - position on page

And make just plain 123 a configurable shortcut to one of them.

    123 = 123 f   - current behavior
    123 = 123 g   - what some people want
    123 = 123 p   - why not, for someone who thinks in terms of pages
    123 = 123 X   - for the new function X no-one has yet thought of

Among other things, less confusion for people moving between
different[ly configured] lynxes, and looks easier to document (123 g
is always the same, not "if blah then 123 does A, and 123 g does B,
but if not-blah then 123 does B and 123 f does A, etc.").

Just an idea, I'm not planning to implement it.

    Klaus