lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx Access in Japan

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Access in Japan
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:09:51 +0900 (JST)

>  telnet://ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp .  if you're staying in Japan,

Please no longer advertise this.  (Without information on how to log
in, it is useless, anyway.)  I will leave it in place for active
developers and other legitimate users, but in general people these days
don't need telnet, and a lot of "bad element" types use telnet for abuse.

> any ISP with UNIX shell access will allow you to compile your own Lynx:

Not true.  Not all ISPs will give blanket permission on the use of the
system compiler.  Many ISPs have quotas set which will not allow one to
even open up a distribution the size of Lynx, much less configure and
compile it.  A few savvy ISPs restrict memory use and CPU time.

__Henry