lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev how do you turn off dired

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev how do you turn off dired
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:47:40 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 01:26:46PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > I ran configure with "--disable-dired"; configure reported:
> > "checking if directory-editor code should be used... no",
> > but with the resulting binary I can delete files and move
> > them, even call up the F)ile manager menu.  lynx2.8.2dev.19.
> > However, the binary using "--disable-dired" is 39048 bytes
> > smaller than when using "--enable-dired".
>
> This option is not the "disable means don't compile", it's the "disable
> means don't make it the default".

This doesn't seem to be the case for --{dis,en}able-dired (and I don't
know for which flags it applies, if any, as I wrote in another message).
The only way to compile DIRED in after configuring with --disable-dired
would be to have an explicit -DDIRED_SUPPORT somewhere, or an explicit
'#define DIRED_SUPPORT' in one of the *.h files, or a mixup of *.o files
from different compilations or perhaps some config.cache from a previous
run.   Or else --disable-dired is completely broken, but that doesn't
seem to be the case since Henry gets a smaller binary.

If that is not the case, I can't explain Henry's observation, except
by assuming that he didn't really test the binary that was compiled
with --disable-dired but a different one.

Or am I completely missing something here?

   Klaus