lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev outofmem() allocating memory

From: Gisle Vanem
Subject: Re: lynx-dev outofmem() allocating memory
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:54:49 +0200 (CEST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> said:

>> This contradiction happens in libc's `fflush (stdout)'; it doesn't
>> happen while in `fflush(stderr)' (because stdout is line-buffered).
>
> Except that *stderr isn't really the library-provided FILE you would
> expect, if a Trace Log file is in use.  So you may have that problem
> even for stderr.

Really, I couldn't find that stderr is defined to something special,
or that setvbuf() is used anywhere.

> Alternatively, outofmem() could try to do some of the cleanups that
> free memory first, before doing anything else.  Then there should be
> at least enough memory available for stdio purposes.  Too bad that
> memory cleanup has just been disabled in recent patches!

Hear, hear!

>> BTW. YAMD (Yet Another Mallocing Debugger) is for djgpp and Linux.
>>      It's available at <http://www.cartsys.com/eldredge/n/yamd/>

> For the purposes of debugging lynx, how does it compare to lynx's
> very own '--enable-find-leaks'?

YAMD is more "low-level"; finds ptr-use after freeing, double-freeing,
under or over-indexing dynamic data etc. I'm not sure 'find-leaks' can
do that.

The disadvantage is that it allocates a page (4kB) for every
allocation! That's why I got outofmem() in the first place.

Gisle V.