lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev automatic uncaching (was: PATCH [dev22]: source caching fixes)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:44:02 +0400 (MSD)

15-Apr-99 03:50 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>> 14-Apr-99 13:32 Vlad Harchev wrote:

>>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >    I found another bug: if there is something on the cache stack (say doc A
>> > -current doc and doc B), and we go to 'O' and change something, only
>> > appearance of 'A' is changed, the appearance of B is not changed - the
>> > cahced
>> > version is used. IMO it will be better to uncache everything in the stack.
>> > This is best tested with 'links are/not numbered' - since rendered versions
>> > differ a lot.
>>
>> That was a very expensive solution before SOURCE_CACHE
>> but now this can be done nicely by adding more parameters to the function
>> above and avoid using of HTuncache_current_document() calls.
>> Until we keep a compatibility with SOURCE_CACHE:NONE this is a little messy.

> If the behavior is changed from "only reload top document after
> relevant option change" to "reload all affected documents after option
> change", then please make this optional/configurable.  The current
> behavior is maybe sometimes unexpected, but I generally prefer it over
> the alternative.  I know where the ^R key is if I need it, and would
> like to avoid unnecessary reloading.

I think a new behaviour should be implemented for SOURCE_CACHE!=NONE
(always "reload all affected documents" when we have sources locally -
it would be strange otherwise, so no configure options required here).
But with SOURCE_CACHE:NONE the old behaviour is preferrable by default
to avoid shocking of experienced lynx users base
(non default option may be implemented of cause).

14-Apr-99 14:12 Vlad Harchev wrote:
>   But the way it's implemented now should be considered incorrect. IMO, user
> should understand that changing options have a penalty and not to do this
> very often. Also, IMO the use of caching proxies with SOURCE_CACHE:NONE won't
> make things messy/slow. IMO, we should implement the correct behaviour.

Using of locally installed cached proxis is a good solution
but they have a validation/no-cache/expired logic
thich may be contrary to our needs (say, dynamically generated pages
are always set to expired).