lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev removing strings used in CTRACE when configured without tra

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev removing strings used in CTRACE when configured without tracing
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:06:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>  The are several approaches:
 [ various approaches for changing TRACEing snipped ]

If you serious think about changing the TRACE stuff, please have a
look at how this is done now in the lates W3C libwww code.  (They
changed it rather recently.)

See
    <http://www.w3.org/Library/src/HTUtils.html>
    (that and our HTUtils.h go back to a common ancestor...)

    <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-lib/1999JanMar/0267.html>
    (for brief description/announcement)

An example of how it's used:

  HTTRACE(CORE_TRACE, "Host info... object %p from list %p\n" _ me _ list);

(The first parameter selects what kinds of trace messages are wanted -
would be nice also for lynx, instead of the current all-or-nothing
approach.  A trace log can get way too big with ALL trace messages
if one is only interested in a specific part of the code.)

The use of '_' instead of ',' needs getting used to, but apparent it gets
around the variable-argument-number problem nicely.

It would be a problem if we used _() as a shhorthand for gettext(); but
fortunately the lynx code uses gettext() directly.

This would require replacing all TRACE messages throughout the code;
but so would the other approaches that are worth considering, I think.

I agree with Tom though that this is probably not the best time for it.

   Klaus