lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx Question

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Question
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 06:22:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Cynthia Griffiths (516)233-6839 wrote:

> I am using Lynx 2.4-FM on an digital alpha running VMS

You should probably get a newer version, this is now quite old.
However, whether that matters depends on what you are trying to
to, which is not clear to me.

> When I run the following code:

The below is not code, it is HTML text.  That's not just terminology
nitpicking, since you cannot "run" HTML text, in the usual sense
of the word.  What are you actually doing with the HTML text?
Invoke lynx on a file containing the text (with what -flags?) from
a DCL command file?  Invoke lynx interactively and then 'g'oto a URL
with that text?  Or something else?

The embedded scripting is of course ignored by lynx (as you probably
know).

> <head>
> <title>Link page</title>
> <script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
> <!-- HIDE FROM OLD BROWSERS
>
> function moveMail(taskForm){
> document.theForm.submit()
> }
> // STOP HIDING -->
> </script>
> </head>

> <form name="theForm" method="POST"
> action="http://196.3.23.218/dbamail/webmaildba.pl";>
>   <input type="hidden" name="addrto" value="cgriffiths"><input
> type="hidden" name="addrfrom"
>   value="DTM Monitoring"><input type="hidden" name="projname" value="System
> Check"><input
>   type="hidden" name="msgbody" value="Backlog of over 3 DTMS">
> </form>
>
> I get the following error:
>    terminal = vt_400 series
>    data transfer complete
> BUT I'm am in a "hung" condition and must perform a cntrl Y to return to a
> Lynx session (the webmaildba.pl perl script never gets called)
>
> If I change the <input type> from "hidden" to "text" in the above code  I
> don't hang but I default to interactive lynx and the action address never
> is gotten to.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Cindi
>
> *****
> In case you're wondering what I'm attempting to do.
> The form outlined above presently calls a Perls script that sends mail.
> It works on an NT box.
>
> I am attempting to write DCL (VMS code) to check if the number of files is
> greater than 3 in a directory, if so I want to notify the "on call person"
> via email. I wrote the DCL command and was hoping to use Lynx to help me
> access a netscape browser so that I can submit my form to the Perl script
> to send mail.

Do you really want to "access a netscape browser" with lynx?  That doesn't
seem to make sense.  If you just want to submit the form data with lynx,
what role does netscape play?

> I was hoping to do all this as background procedures.

If you just want to submit the form to the script non-interactively,
that should be possible with lynx (but I don't know whether it is with
your 2.4-FM) under VMS.  But don't expect lynx to parse HTML text for
the data to submit and then automatically do the POST - it will never
do that (no matter what happens on an NT box under completely different
circumstances).  You have to give the data to lynx directly.

You probably want to use `lynx -dump -post_data' or similar.
But if that perl CGI script also understands the GET form method,
things could be made much simpler.

    Klaus