Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
>> I think I'm on Solaris..  (dang I never remember how to check..)
>uname -sr
>If you're on Solaris it should display "SunOs 5.x".

SunOS 5.6

>> so that the other items said <NOT AVAILABLE> or something while I had the
>> popup popped up? even if it said something longer like <NOT AVAILABLE
>> BECAUSE COLOR NOT COMPILED IN> it would be good.
>If you use the "old-style" options menu (FORMS_OPTIONS:FALSE in lynx.cfg),
>Lynx will display "Your 'xxx' terminal does not support color" when you try
>to set Show Color to ON.

lynx.cfg is for compile time options right?  I tried simply making a lynx.cfg
in my home directory with FORMS_OPTIONS:FALSE as the only thing in it and
it doesn't seem to change anything.

Anyway, I just realized that when I'm on the popup it says:
UNMODIFIABLE option list.  Use return or arrow keys to review or leave.
at the bottom of the screen.

>If you don't mind being helped by someone you think that `doesn't seem to
>realize that "vt100 emulator" _implies_ that it does not emulate things
>_besides_ a vt100', I could probably help you like I helped many Lynx users
>with a similar problem.

Wow, I didn't mean to make that sound like an insult, I just think both sides
are unable to agree.  (I'm making the semantic point about words, admittedly.)

>What terminal or terminal emulation are you using? Does it support color?
>What "echo $TERM" says?

heh.. vt100.

The 'real' vt100 in /etc/termcap says:
d0|vt100|vt100-am|vt100am|dec vt100:\

I have no idea how to read that stuff (I'm not saying it's hard, I just
never figured out any of it except for things like changing backspace to delete
with stty and changing rows manually).

I realized there are a lot of other "vt100-ish" entries in /etc/termcap,
mentioning things like "fast v100"..  Maybe some decade if I ever get around
to it I should play around with some of the others to see if I can notice a
difference over a modem link.